Friday, November 4, 2011

The Best Cranberry Relish




(A quick note - several people have told me they didn't know they could sign up to be notified when I publish a new post, so I moved the sign-up field to the top of the page on the left side.  If you have a corporate email address it probably won't work due to firewalls, but personal mailboxes will receive a notice.)

Far be it for me to mess with anyone's Thanksgiving traditions, but would you be open to one tiny change?  I consider this cranberry relish to be my signature Thanksgiving dish, if there is such a thing.  It's light years away from that jellied stuff that comes out of the can with indentations from the can ridges.  It has a bright, fresh, tart flavor that goes so well with turkey, it's amazing.  It's also wonderful with roast pork, chicken, duck, etc. and makes an excellent sandwich the day after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey.  I've even had it on toast with peanut butter and it was great.

The interesting part is that the cranberries aren't cooked.  How can that be?  Cranberries are little rocks, right?  I think marinating in the refrigerator with the tangerine and sugar softens them.  Whatever, it works.  The other interesting part is that you use the entire tangerine, peel and all (except the seeds).  The net effect is outstanding. If you can't find a tangerine, an orange works just as well. An advantage is that it needs to be made in advance so it's one less thing to do on The Day and it only takes about five minutes to prepare.  Please give it a try this Thanksgiving!


* * click here for a printable recipe version * *


Cranberry Tangerine Relish
Makes about 3 cups

 Note:  you will find crystallized ginger in the produce section of most grocery stores.


1 12-oz bag fresh cranberries, rinsed
1 6-oz tangerine, rinsed, unpeeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
¾ cup sugar
½ cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger (about 2 ½ ounces)
¼ cup orange marmalade


In a food processor, coarsely chop cranberries using pulse button.  Transfer to a medium bowl.  Do the same coarse chop to the tangerine and combine add to the cranberries.  Mix in the other ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  (May be made up to three days in advance.)  Serve cold or at room temperature.


1 comment:

Marne said...

I'm always looking forward to this recipe at Thanksgiving! Are you coming this year? Otherwise, I may have to make this myself.

Tonight I am making a chicken/mushroom/brown rice hot dish---the first time I've turned on my oven this fall since cool weather has arrived. And it's DARK outside. Marne